Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Capital convectors or something else?

Options
steve_173
steve_173 Member Posts: 140
These might be older than the ones that appear in the EDR book. Some have cabinets covers with two small hinged doors at the bottom. Others look like the typical grilled upper, open bottom covers. Not all say Capital on the knob, but some do. Maybe only the valve is capital. I can’t find any other markings. The house has Capital Triton radiators (one random Sunrad I think) too so it makes sense that the convectors would be Capital. The fins are straight up and down, not in a zig zag or offset as in the EDR book’s picture. The elements do not sit on legs either, but on shelves coming out of the side of the cabinet. The end pieces are shaped differently too. I’m in the NYC area in case this is some local manufacturer or variant.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Convectors:

I doubt that those are still made. They should have a much higher output than anything listed in a book unless you can find a very old IBR ratings book. I don't know the age of the building but if you figure out when the building or renovation was done, you will be able to date a time when these convectors were manufactured. Those are most likely high end units. Not something used in tract developments.

There was a time when I could call IBR, The Hydronics Institute and get some guidance. Since they became part of GAMA, information isn't so easy to come by. If the renovation/construction was done in the 50's, after WW II, most anyone who might know something about them will be long past. The technology to make those came from WW II for military use. Mostly for aircraft. The fancier and more expensive the product, the smaller the market.  
  • steve_173
    Options
    20s?

The house was remodeled in the late 20s. I suspect the convectors are from then based upon the rooms they are in but that seems too early if it is post WWII technology. Perhaps someone redid everything another time, but then they would have had to change floors and whatnot, which doesn’t seem to be the case. Other than two that were obviously retrofit into an older part of the house, the others are all in the late 20s addition.

What makes you say these are high output convectors? Are you saying there is likely no way to accurately size these for square feet of steam?
  • steve_173
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Google images to the rescue

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/129774/The-Gorton-2-Saga-Continued

There it says these are Governale units as shown on pg 216 of E.D.R.

Where is the header so I can verify that it indeed says International? I

couldn't find anything, but I mist have looked in the wrong spot.
This discussion has been closed.