Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is it the fill valve.

Options
Hi,

I have a hot water radiator system that is not heating, After trouble shooting various parts of the system I have narrowed it down a little bit.

It looks like there is no water pressure in the system. I removed the expansion tank and there is pressure on the water line into the system. I reconnected the tank to the supply side only and opened the valve on the line, no water flows through the fill valve. I have a Amtrol fill-trol 109.

Is there an other way to test the fill valve?

I see they are replaceable. There was a small amount of crud on the screen I cleaned that off.

The pump ( a Grundfos circulating pump) seams to be working it makes noise, the pipes vibrate, I took the cover off of the center shaft it is spinning, perhaps the impellers are bad?

Thanks for any insight

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    make sure

the boiler is cool prior to adding any water just in case!! If you can remove the expansion tank you have no water in the supply pipes. The pressure reducing valve is probably plugged and may need replacing. If you've lost that much water, I would be looking for a leak and you may wish to have a pro come in and troubleshoot all the issues...
This discussion has been closed.