Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

What is the slowest straight went out there?

malexmalex Posts: 104Member
I have one of those retrofitted radiators with a sheetmetal front and fin-tubes inside in a small bedroom. It gets very hot quickly but doesn;t hold the heat as the cast iron radiators. I don't want to turn it off so I want to went it as slowly as possible and use an additional heat source if necessary to keep to room warm when this radiator stops giving off heat. It uses a straight connection and I actually have a brand new hoffman 41 laying around. Is that any good? I have Gorton 4's on half of my radiators and 5s/6s on the other so preferably I would have went that is even slower than the 4's.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• crash2009crash2009 Posts: 1,484Member
    Try pexsupply.com

I have ordered straight Gorton D's from them.  They likely have the slower ones as well.  Gorton #4 is pretty slow.
  • Long Beach EdLong Beach Ed Posts: 688Member
    Hoffman 41

When we want a radiator to vent slowly, we use Hoffman 40 or 41's. 

Gerry and Steve's research show the Gorton #4 to vent even more slowly.  According to their research, the Gorton #4 would be the slowest.

They are both very good quality vents.
  • malexmalex Posts: 104Member
    I will try the Hoffman 41

I know not to throttle the valve to get less steam but are there any other tools of the trade to slow down/reduce the heat a radiator gives off?
  • Long Beach EdLong Beach Ed Posts: 688Member
    Thermostatic Valve

You can place a thermostatic valve on the vent, with a remote room sensor.  The valve would only open the vent when the room drops to a set temperature. 

Danfoss makes such a valve, but be prepared with lots of cash to buy it. 
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!