Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

permit for fluepipe replacement

Options
Paul_69
Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
has anybody heard of a firedept. that wants a permit pulled in mass.when you are replacing fluepipe on exsisting furnace,i had a customer say to me that when i am replacing their smoke pipe the fireman who came to the home for something else said i am suppose to file a permit just like for a new oil line upgrade or furnace replacement, i am a contractor and never did this for any jobs before.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    absolutely not

no permit is required to replace smoke pipe. Just follow code for smoke pipe clearances/pitch, and screws per joint. You are not altering the equipment, only maintaining the original install. Call him on it, and tell him to produce the CMR for it. 
  • Paul_69
    Options
    flue pipe

i will thx. bill. i thought he was nuts.
  • billtwocase
    Options
    any time paul

There are a lot of inspectors that interpret code in a strange way to say the least. I know George was going state wide to try and educate some of the, but there are some that know it all, and don't read the CMR as it was intended. Just be civil to the inspector, and ask him to prove you wrong. If that doesn't work, call the state's fire marshall's office about it. 
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    can you

imagion how busy he would be if he had to check every piece of smoke pipe replaced?
  • billtwocase
    Options
    for a small fee

he could check filters, strainers, and nozzle replacements too
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Flue Pipe Permits:

Don't laugh, Bill, the cities and towns have found that the building departments are cash cows for untapped revenues. There was a time in the Commonwealth, where the law stated that cities and towns could only set fees high enough to cover expenses. Now, it seems that the law was repealed when no one was looking. Now, towns have raised fees, and all fees go into a general fund to be used for expenses that have no relation to running a building department.

How much money was raised by that stupid sheet metal contractors license?
  • billtwocase
    Options
    For quite a while Ice

The state sets the minimum fee, and the towns/cities can go from there, and the prices are all over the place to pull a permit, but code is code. New install, smoke pipe must meet all requirements, but replacing rusty, etc pipe requires no new permit of inspection. I know, the sheet metal license. Now there's another thread in itself. If abandoning the permitted venting means and altering that, then that is a horse of a different color.
  • Paul_69
    Options
    altering

is the flue pipe replacement considered altering the oil burner?? well at least i told the fire dept. i was filing the permit for the new oil line i installed not the flue pipe. he can look at it all he wants but its pitched right protected with fire shielding where its close to wood and he should appreciate the effort, because for 20 yrs since home was built the pipe was kissing wood walls!! and was inspected!!
This discussion has been closed.