Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wirsbo Hepex leak/delamination?

Options
furthur
furthur Member Posts: 25
This Hepex is  roughly 15 years old, poured slab on grade. It has had dowfrost at about 30% strength since new. The paint overspray is just latex. The fittings are compression style wirsbo, and have obviously been leaking awhile (it has taken me forever to figure out where the water has been going in this system...duh).  When you examine the hepex closely, it seems the outer lamination, at least on this one end, is separating?!

I would like to replace the compression fittings with propex. I will have to cut it back some anyway, so I may use propex splices, and add new hepex above, to get me some working length, since I don't want the manifolds right on the floor (they are now about a foot off the slab.

Does anyone see a problem with this approach? Has anyone seen this in wirsbo hepex before?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Yes, I've seen the snake shed its skin...

And it too was on an older snowmelt system, but had been exposed to freezing due to make up dilution.

As for using it with a ProPEX expansion fitting, I'd recommend you contact the manufacturer and get their opinion.

As far as the loss of the EVOH barrier, if it were a conventional space heating app, I'd be concerned, but due to the glycol and the presence of corrosion inhibitors, I don't think it will be much of a problem so long as the fluid is maintained and checked on an annual basis.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.