Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiator valve parts

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
I need to start rebuilding all of my radiator valves and I have no idea where to get parts.

I took one of the smaller ones apart and noticed they obviously use very large washers,  where do I get such beasts?  Also, is there typically a gasket between the valve base and the cap that screws in with the packing nut on it or is it just brass to brass?

I'd like to get all 10 of mine working and sealed tight.  I went around and snugged up the packing nuts, this seems to have sealed them but who knows.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Graphite Valve Packing

is available at one of your local hardware stores or http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Brass-Craft-SF1336-Plumb-Shop-Graphite-Valve-Packing-3-32-Inch-By-24-Inch-u224436.html  Directions are on the package.  I used the 3/32" size.  On some of the bad valves I had to wrap the packing 4 times around the stem.  They are hard to turn now.  I probably put in too much.

Is the valve to radiator union leaking too? 
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Radiator Valve Parts:

It is my experience and practice that unless there is some compelling reason to futz with radiator valves, I let sleeping dogs lie. If the packing's are leaking on the valve stems, like said, graphite packing will fix them. It is usually twisted packing. You can separate the stranded and still use the whole piece. It's an art form. I always use some grease when packing them. If the handles are hard to turn after packing them, loosen the nut. If it starts leaking, tighten it down. It's a nut. You don't need a 2' wrench to tighten it. Most of us only tighten it enough to stop it from leaking at the moment. Tighten it more is for later.

If you are trying to get the valve assembly out and unscrewed from the valve body, you are a brave man. It is my experience that if there are eight valves, seven are in a place where a wrench won't fit or it turns the wrong way. Because thread lubricant is extremely expensive (and might make it easier for someone to get it apart in the future), it was never used on the threads by the old dead manufacturers. Making it a ground joint. When tugging on the fitting, you should back up the valve. There will NEVER be room for both wrenches on all eight valves. So, when it comes, look out. It goes from 300 Ft Lbs of torque to 0 in an instant and you go skidding across the floor to run in to something and damage it. Do that eight times.

If they are single pipe steam valves, fix the ones that you need to. But be ready for a fun time.

Been there, done that.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    Options
    No leaks other then stem

I did take one apart, perhaps I got lucky?

I used a 12" adjustable and just bumped it with the palm of my hand a few times and 'crack' she spun loose.

Lets say I can get the other 9 in the house loose easily, where can I get gigantic washers for them?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
This discussion has been closed.