Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need Information on Radiator Valve:

Options
icesailor
icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
I was working in an old house today and when I filled the system, one radiator wouldn't work. I have a personal rule to never touch a radiator valve until all options are used up. It is a a replacement valve on a gravity radiator. It is made by American Valve #45 or 45S. This is on a plate on the top. I had no flow. I assumed that the radiator worked. I turned the valve in the direction it said to turn it to "open". It never stopped turning. There was no stop. I lifted up on the handle. It moved up about 3/8" and when I turned it CCW, it hit a stop. If I turned it CW, it didn't stop. No matter where I leave the valve, there is no flow.

Can anyone tell me how this valve is made? I went to their website but I can't tell what the valve mechanism is.

The radiator had been re-piped and it looks like there are pitch issues. I raised one end up 3/4" and it didn't make any difference.

Comments

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,765
    Options
    Re: inoperable radiator valve

Sounds like the shaft has come loose from the valve stop. Thats why it keeps spinning and spinning. May be best to drain system, take bonnett off of valve and you very likely could ressurect the stem to flow shroud connection. Just my guess at this time.  Tim
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,440
    Options
    if it anything...

like my parents old place it it probably a old style ball valve type. I actually have to work on this this weekend..... It was a cylinder that has a hole in one side and turns off /on by a 1/4 turn motion.  Drain and pulling it apart is prob your best bet... then leave it alone.
This discussion has been closed.