Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How Much Water

Options
<span>I have a Weil McLain 678 boiler on a job with flooding problems. As part of troubleshooting I called the Mfr. for the amount of water in the operating range of the boiler, the tech I spoke with did not answer (or understand) the question.  Is there an accurate way to estimate the operating range water volume by dimensioning the boiler?</span>

<span>Thanks for your help.</span>

Comments

• Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,210
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Steaming Capacity

The manufacturer's data should show the steaming capacity. 

If it doesn't and you know the "lowest permissible water level,"  just drain the water out of it into a bucket from its normal operating level to the lowest level and measure the water in the bucket.

If you don't know either, I'd measure the water content, using the drain-it-and-measure-it method between a 3/4-full sight glass and 1-1/2" from the bottom of the sight glass. 

Ed in Long Beach
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Flooding Problems

Hi-  What's causing the flooding problems?  Does it have an automatic water feeder? Does it have a domestic HW coil?

- Rod
  • KSKI3718
    KSKI3718 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks

Ed,

Thank you for the info.

Rod,

I think this has been a problem since the boiler was installed 15 years ago replacing 2 higher water content boilers but there is also a chance that clogged returns are contributing to the problem.  The feeder only went in 2 to 3 years ago.  before that a caretaker fed and drained the boiler as needed so it was not noticed.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    the great flood

we had that problem, with luckily no auto/over-feed to cloud the issue. we had several horizontal pipes just above the normal waterline of the return which hid the water as the boiler built moderate pressure [pushing water into the returns]. when we cut them out, and dropped all the wet returns to the floor, the problem was solved.--nbc 
This discussion has been closed.