Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gorton #2 info please...

Options
Do they make noise? Are you supposed to hear them rapidly venting the air from the steam main? Are they working if you don't hear anything? Inquiring newbies want to know. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Enreynolds
    Enreynolds Member Posts: 119
    Options
    If you can

Hear the air coming out, you do not have enough venting.  You have to have pressurized air in your mains to hear the air exiting the vents, so you are burning fuel to compress air, rather than heat.  Add more venting. 
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    G2's

are pretty quiet.  I have to feel em to know they are working.  If they are hot, they are working.  Here is what they look like on the inside.  http://www.gwgillplumbingandheating.com/webapp/GetPage?pid=610
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    noisy g-2's

i agree with mr. enreynolds, if you can hear them venting, there are not enough of them to do the job of allowing the air to escape easily with no restriction. when i had 1 g-2 on each dry return, i could hear them, and now that i have 3 on each-no noise!

the radiator vents[all hoffman 40] were real whistlers when the vacuum of shut-down caused the air to rush in-another sign of inadequate venting.

a good low-pressure gauge will enable you to check the back-pressure during venting, which in my case is 2 ounces or less.--nbc.
  • Jason Quinn
    Jason Quinn Member Posts: 96
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for all the responses. I installed one yesterday at the end of the main and couldnt hear it and the rad vents were still hissing so I wasn't sure if it was working. I even piped it back 12 inches from the end of the main. It did get hot, eventually. It took about 31/2 minutes for the end of my 2 inch x 30 ft main to get hot at the end.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    3 min not bad

That 40 ft of 2" steel pipe all has to get hot before the steam closes that gorton #2. Is all that piping insulated with at least 1" of fiberglass pipe insulation.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Jason Quinn
    Jason Quinn Member Posts: 96
    Options
    75%

of the mains are insulated. I still have the rest to do- which is mostly in the boiler room itself.
This discussion has been closed.