Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Connect Monoflo Tees

stal
stal Member Posts: 7
I had this question originally on the the radiant heat forums but haven't got any replies.  Thought here would get more views.

I have a monoflo system that heats my first floor. I've noticed that a set of tees were capped. I've removed the caps and connected the tees with pipe (i've read that this should be done). I then filled the system back up and purged the radiators. But for some reason, the pipe connecting the tees remains cool when the boiler is running, which tells me that water is not flowing in through newly installed pipe. Do any of you have a solution to this? Should I have added an air valve on the pipe? The water pressure is currently set to 17psi. Should I try increasing the pressure? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    are you

sure the tee's were monoflo tee's?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Monoflo's:

Maybe they are, maybe their not.

They should have had an air vent on the loop but the system worked well for some long time while capped off, I think it will work fine as is.over time, the air will be absorbed.

Make a list of important things you need to worry about (wars, land mines, tornado's, floods), put that loop at the bottom of the list. Worry about the rest first.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    gotta agree

The by-passes that you put on are probably air-bound, and also may not be mono-flo "T"s. 
  • stal
    monoflo's:

It did "work" with my old oil fired boiler. I recently replaced the oil fired boiler with a gas fired condensing boiler and the system does "work". The plumber must of not noticed the capped tee's (on the opposite end of the house from the boiler). I understand that not piping the tee's restricts the flow. I was hoping that the system would run even more efficiently than it is now. I believe my boiler short cycles (burner turns off and on every few minutes when t-stat calling for heat) and was hoping to minimize the short cycles by piping the tee's.
  • stal
    i believe they are

they are the same t's that are on each of my radiators.  If there is an air vent at each radiator, then why not at the piped t's?  Isn't the pipe basically a radiator without the the fins?
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    sounds

like you really want something there, simple to do, add a tee and put a coin vent on it. That way you can bleed it out so your comfortable with it.
  • stal
    Not

that I want something to be there, I just want it to be right.
  • Roland_18
    Roland_18 Member Posts: 147
    Monoflo

Something like this:

• stal
    Perfect!

To confirm, the vent goes on the return side?
  • Roland_18
    Roland_18 Member Posts: 147
    Air bound

I don't know whether it makes a differece, supply or return, as I have no credentials in heating. At the very least, it should be installed at the 'high' end of the pipe as air likes to travel 'up hill'.
This discussion has been closed.