Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old boiler inspected by buyers inspector

ivanator2
ivanator2 Member Posts: 39
We are selling our house. We have an old boiler that hasn't caused us any problems. Some potential buyers put in an offer and had the house inspected. The inspector flagged the boiler. He said there was exhaust gas leaking from the top of the boiler and "given this and all the other defects, it should be completely replaced." He didn't mention what the other defects were.

I had an HVAC company who put in a new boiler in a previous house of ours. They looked it over and did some carbon monoxide testing. The test produced 1 ppm of carbon monoxide and 2 ppm of carbon monoxide. They also said the boiler is not venting properly (it was a 90 degree bend and horizontal into the chimney. They recommended a new liner and vent exhaust piping, but they saw no reason to replace the boiler and said it was in good shape and could last forever.

I believe 1 or 2 PPM is considered very good. Is that the case?

Comments

• Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    edited November 2011
    A reading of...

1 to 2 PPM inside the boiler flue is perfectly fine, that same reading in the basement would alarm me.

CO is a usually a product of combustion and there will be some going up the chimney, readings above 0 in the ambient air would indicate a problem.

Carbon monoxide is produced from the partial oxidation of [u][color=#0066cc]carbon[/color][/u]-containing compounds; it forms when there is not enough oxygen to produce [u][color=#0066cc]carbon dioxide[/color][/u] (CO2), such as when operating a [u][color=#0066cc]stove[/color][/u] or an [u][color=#0066cc]internal combustion engine[/color][/u] in an enclosed space. In the presence of oxygen, carbon monoxide burns with a blue flame, producing carbon dioxide

How about a picture of what the beast looks like?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    sounds about right

They are lookin for you to start knocking off some cash, and plumbing and heating is always easy prey. I go thru this all the time. Get a second opinion from someone who is on your side, or better yet, has no conflict of interest.
  • Sweet_Lew
    Sweet_Lew Member Posts: 116
    Agreed

Have the boiler inspected by a reputable heating company\Pro or another home inspector. Or both. 
This discussion has been closed.