Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

need help identifying burnham boiler

Options
i have a chance to pick up a two year old mega-steam for a very good price.  the homeowner had it pulled out to go with fhw. (?)  as he lives a ways away i haven't been there yet to check it out yet.  problem is, he doesn't know what boiler it is.  according to him there's no tag of any kind on it with the model number.  there's the tag that lists all the Mega-steams and the section count but that's it.  he removed the top section and says it has three sections but according t his reading of the tag the 288 and 396 both have three sections (?).  i can use a 396.  so, how can we tell which boiler it is.  he called burnham but they were not of any help according to him.

as always, thanks for reading and thanks for the help.

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Megasteam

Hi- Looking over the 288 and 396, both on dimension and water capacity,  they seem to  be the same block so the difference would be the burner. I've attached the I&O Manual. Look at around page 67 as this listed the burners available for these models . Two brands of the burner appear to use the same model burner on the Megasteam with a change of nozzles etc of course and the third brand uses a different model burner on the 288 and 396.

The burner on the Megasteam you are looking at should have a spec.plate so I would get that all the info off that  and that should tell you what model Megasteam it is..

- Rod
  • steampunk_2
    steampunk_2 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    help identifying burnham boiler

rod,

right you were.  spoke with beckett this morning and learned that  the set-ups for the mst-288 and the 396 are identical  except that the 288 uses a lower gph nozzle and a "low fire baffle plate" 

thanks
  • steampunk_2
    steampunk_2 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    help identifying burnham boiler

rod,

right you were.  spoke with beckett this morning and learned that  the set-ups for the mst-288 and the 396 are identical  except that the 288 uses a lower gph nozzle and a "low fire baffle plate" 

thanks
This discussion has been closed.