Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Contractor Integrity

KnaveP
KnaveP Member Posts: 21
I am just had a new boiler installed. I have an old house that uses steam heat and I have learnt a lot in getting heat to all my rooms just from perusing this site. So when it came time to select a contractor to replace my boiler, I chose one listed here. I mean the old adage you get what you pay for must be true. Now after bleeding through the nose, I got a this...

Condensate will flow back into the boiler so I guess what was done is OK. Please take a look at the picture.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    edited November 2011
    RE

Well.....

It could have been done better by taking apart more of the existing piping. Looks like an old header was left and connected to after the new near-boiler piping.

I won't make any more comments until the contractor allows it.

Where are you located?
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    steam boiler

I would not have piped it like that. It is not the condensate that is the problem but the rise of the steam. Pipes are too small and the two pipes coming off of the top of the boiler should have run directly to the main header not tee'd togeather and then run to the main header.  Ask the installer where in the install manual there is a picture that looks like that.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    No guarantees...

Dan doesn't screen the contractors in Find A Contractor. Using a contractor from FAC is no guarantee of getting an expert, but... the fact that they are hanging around here is a good indication that they are trying to further themselves through education. They also know that if they get into a bind, they can always come back here and seek advice.

If it were me, I'd ask the contractor to show you exactly what it is that he is doing to alleviate the possibility of water being carried over with the steam, causing steam hammer/knocking.

Do a site search for Dropped Header on this web site and show him pictures of that configuration. It might cost you more, but it will be worth it in the long run.

My $0.02 worth.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2011
    Not crazy about the

weird angle and swing joint but the near boiler piping seems correct, as what I can see.

The pipes coming off the top of the boiler look correctly piped.

Looks like an Independence
  • KnaveP
    KnaveP Member Posts: 21
    Re:

JStar, I am located in Yonkers. The contractor is out of Brooklyn. It is a IN7 that I being installed.

I will ask that the near boiler piping be done according to manufacturer specifications.

All, thanks for the input.
This discussion has been closed.