Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding finned tube radiation in basement

KevinWyman
KevinWyman Member Posts: 35
I am adding an 8 foot section of baseboard in my basement. This will be a separate zone on the system.

Question: Do I need to worry about adding a "boiler drain" to the zone since it is below the level of the boiler and the zone system taps?

Any other suggestions? I am concerned about keeping the valving compact. The radiation will be supplied from approx. 7 feet above and return to the 7 foot level before connecting to the supply header and return headers at 7 feet and 5 feet (approximately) respectively. Separate zone valve with separate thermostat.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,814
    the low point

in the system would be that baseboard loop? If you ever wanted to drain down the entire system, maybe for winterizing some day it would be nice to have a drain cock at the lowest point. Provide a means to purge that zone out when you connect into the system. Webstone makes some nice purge/ ball valves for that purpose.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • KevinWyman
    KevinWyman Member Posts: 35
    Yea I knew the answer deep down ...

I guess I knew the answer all along but since I am pressed for space I was hoping to defy the laws of gravity. I think I will be able to squeeze it just above the floor level for the output to the garden hose connection.
This discussion has been closed.