Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How old was my boiler?

Options
We have retired our Crane natural gas steam boiler. The New Yorker is going in (I'm doing another thread with lots of pics!) now.

Curious as to how old the boiler was. My guess was mid 1960's to 1970s. I saved the data tag and cleaned it. She sure earned her retirement. The sections looked gorgeous. No cracks or leaks. Just couldn't keep paying for the 490,000 BTU input.

The serial # is C56 2715. Don't know how to decode, but could it be March, 1956? Here are some pics

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Beacon Boiler Reference Book

You might want to try the Beacon Boiler Reference Book in the Library section at the top of this page. They have info on a lot of old boilers.

- Rod
  • MotownSteamer
    MotownSteamer Member Posts: 110
    Options
    Thanks Rod

According to this book, the only 40-series boilers were made before 1959. So, it would seem the serial number clue could be 1956! If so, we had a 55+ year old boiler that was still chugging along leak free. Pretty cool!.

Any other thoughts on how to decode the serial #?
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Options
    Sure looks like a 1956 boiler

Here is a posting regarding replacing the gas control valve on a 1956 boiler.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/138351/old-Bastian-Morley-boiler-and-White-Rodgers-valve

If you look carefully at the photos, you can see the gas valve is the same as the one on your old boiler. That style of valve was discontinued in the 50s, so it would be consistent with the 1956 date code.

Its amazing how many of these 50+ year old boilers are still steaming...
  • MotownSteamer
    MotownSteamer Member Posts: 110
    Options
    Yes, same gas train!

Ok, that seems to cinch it! Same diaphragm valve (same leak issue too!). The data tag is identical to mine.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Dang!

That thing's older than I am. Probably in better shape too!
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
This discussion has been closed.