Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tankless water heater

Mpj
Mpj Member Posts: 109
Have a customer that want me to install a tank less water heater (natural gas) in their home. This would be my first one to be installed. The house has a three piece bath (shower no tub), kitchen, washing machine and a future three piece bath.

I am looking for opinions on the "best" brand/model, size and any other points of view.

The house is located on Long Island.

Thanks for the input.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    there are a number ....

of good units. I like Noritz. Rinnai and Takagi are also good units. You need to size the unit off of the winter water temperatures for LI.  Do the math. A Noritz NR 71 would be fine. Make sure to size the gas line properly as they require a lot more gas at the point of use.
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    We have installed..

Many Rinnai heaters and have had good luck with them. Make sure the gas line is sized properly and we also install a whole house filter on the main as well to help reduce sediment from building in the exchanger.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,048
    Look at the lay-out

of the place. The number one mistake in tankless installs is inadequate gas line sizing. Walk around the house and look at the lay-out of the place. The current location of the water heater may not be the best location for the tankless. Keep in mind that the tankless will not make hot water until the tap is opened. I would suggest hat you contact your supplier and find out what type and when they are having training on their brand of tankless. At least, contact your LOCAL rep for whichever brand you choose and speak with them about your application and that this is your first installation. Their response will determine if you want to install that brand. If it is your first, it is all about the support. Their job is to keep you all out of trouble. Your job is to listen and let them do theirs.

As to the in-line filter, it is certainly a good idea to consider. I spent my time with Rinnai and they have a filter on the inlet to protect the flow turbine. I'm assuming other manuf do too. Prior to selling my house I had my tankless for 10 yrs and never had to clean the filter. It was a good municipal water system.Every system has a personality. My experience says that not every system needs a filter, but it is worth, absolutely, letting the customer know that if they do have a dirty water system it is an option and may be necessary. Let the customer know and they can decide yes/no, but at last you are covered. My recommendation is that as you are backing off the job when convinced that the gas, water, venting are good that, as you pick up, you run the bejeepers out of the hot water. The last thing you do prior to pulling off the job, having run the hot water hard, is you shut off the water and clean the inlet filter. That way you know that you have purged the cold water system of any debris that moves to the unit after the system has been shut down, modified and restarted. If you get the call in a couple weeks where the customer says, "Wow. it was great when you first installed it, but it seems I have less and less hot water", you may then need the filter. Can't tell you how many times I've had that conversation.

good luck with your entry into tankless. They are here to stay. Get good at it. there is money to be made there!
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Echo

What all the others have said. Would be looking at condensing models. While the unit itself may cost more the ability to use PPS and other means is cheapier then have to use AL24C or some type of concentric venting.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mpj
    Tankless

Thank you for the responses.

I was trying to find a manufactures rep for Rinnai or the Takagi units- found nothing. The local rep I like to deal with sells A O Smith. did a little research and they seem to be just like the rest (I know broad statement).

Chris, what do mean by PPS? some type of venting material?

It seems like to condensing unit is the way to go.

Again thanks for the help.
  • CMadatMe
    edited November 2011
    PPs

Yes, polypropelyne is a vent material. I prefer InnoFlue by Centrotherm which is UL approved, readily available and carries a 10 yr warranty. Just not a fan of venting with PVC. Check with the mfg of the equipment you choose to make sure you can vent with it.

• bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    TANKLESS GAS WATER HEATER

A O Smith is made by Takagi.

If you are able to hang unit on the wall and you aer going right up and out take a look at Noritz. They make their own stainless steel vent piping.

Look at their NR83DVC or NR98DVC they are vented with the concentric SS pipe. This pipe is not expensive and it is adjustable up and down and through the wall.

Noritz also offers condensing tankless gas water heaters.

www.noritz.com
  • CMadatMe
    NRC111

Based on his gpm requirement in his post I'd look at the NRC111-SV vent with PPS. Unit is recirc compatible if needed. For the minimal cost difference if any when adding in price of venting the condesing unit would be the way to go in my opinion.

• Mpj
    Tankless

Thanks again for all the good ideas, filter and the PPS piping. The unit will be in the basement and vented up and out the roof (6" walls). The gas piping is not installed yet, but will be sized accordingly. I will also look into the Noritz unit.
  • Mpj
    Tankless

Thanks again for all the good ideas, filter and the PPS piping. The unit will be in the basement and vented up and out the roof (6" walls). The gas piping is not installed yet, but will be sized accordingly. I will also look into the Noritz unit.
This discussion has been closed.