Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Aquabar B under radiant floors - help!

Options
I'm putting a 900 sq ft addition on my house with pex and plates under the subfloor in a sealed crawlspace, I haven't yet installed most of the heating system, but have just about finished installing 3/4" unfinished oak flooring with Aquabar B asphalt/paper underlayment (suggested by my floor guy AFTER I said we were doing radiant.) And I don't do well with chemical smells.

We literally found out that Aquabar was a bad choice with maybe 20 sq ft left to install, it looks just like kraft paper!

Anyone have Aquabar over radiant? Fortifiber says not a good idea for anything over 80 deg, by my calcs, I should be running 120 in the pex.

My options seem to be:

1. Rip out the oak, and reinstall (w/ unknown material losses, so buying at least some more oak) Anyone ever rip up wood floors, while trying to save them? (put in with 1.5" staples)

2. Scrap heat and go with baseboard instead, we have bb in the original house (depressing, and I don't have great wall space for bb), plus I about $1000 in heating materials already.

3. keep going with my fingers in my ears saying "lalala" and hope we all don't get sick. Potentially having to rip out later, after finish and trim are in.

Experience with any of this? What would you do?
This discussion has been closed.