Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

adams oil furnace

Options
Paul_69
Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
i put in one adams furnace with a nx burner 2 years ago. it has been so so, not alot of trouble to speak of but the tech. support stinks. no area reps. and i wish i had not put it in at all. some burner problems with smell on starts, but no major issues yet. i wont be putting another one in for sure and i dont feel comfortable with it at all.i should have done some better research before installing this unit. it seemed like a good idea with the high effiency and no chimney. have not heard any good things about it since. any feed back would be appreciated. is kerr condensing oil furnace any better or just stay away from condensing oil units.

Comments

• Jim Davis_3
    Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578
    Options
    Adams oil

If there are problems with that furnace then it is not set up properly.  Condensing equipment needs a little more set up time and understanding.  The furnace is as simple as can be.  If you have a 2-line system that could be problem one.  If it has a hollow nozzle in it that could be problem two. 

To totally know if any oil burner is mechanically correct a CO reading at Light-off, Run Cycle and Shut-down are necessary.  CO on oil is normally caused by oil droplets hitting the flame cone or combustion chamber.  These are not detectable with a smoke tester.

I know other contractors that have put them in and set them up correctly and they are running trouble free.  Each and every job has its own individuality and can not be set up by one set of instructions.
  • Paul_69
    Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
    Options
    adams furnace

hey thx jim for your reply. not a ton of trouble with this unit. had trouble after first putting it in with combustion issues. readjusted burner went all winter no calls. tuneup this year, no problems ran clean all season. i have single pipe gravity, new oil line, garber at tank, adams filter at burner. solid nozzle on nx burner. i read instuctions and set it up with co2 and smoke test only. what do you mean about c0 reading? the tech. support was lousy and i felt all alone on this experimental journey for me.after tuneup they said they smelt oil on first start up after servicing it. i guess i am a little nervous with this unit where it is different then othe types of oil furnaces. sounds like you know about them. if you could give me some set up advice that would be great. with other new equipment i have always relied on good tech support until you can get the hang of it. i always seem to get bad advice and the run around at adams tech. support that gets me real nervous. i am self employed with 30 years in buisness.  thx paul
  • Jim Davis_3
    Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578
    Options
    CO & Oil

Back in the early 80's when I sold the Yukon Condensing Oil Furnace I discovered that O2, CO2 & Smoke testing were not enough to keep these running clean.  For some reason in 1984 I did a CO test on one that was not making sense.  The furnace was making zero smoke and 5000ppm of CO.  It took 5 or 6 years to start to unravel different CO patterns on oil.  In the end I definitely knew that CO can never exceed 100ppm anytime Start to Finish.  Even after the burner cycles off I would test for CO for several minutes and watch it start risng out of nowhere.  Also the CO had to be stable after 2-3 minutes and could not start rising even 1 or 2 ppm. 

In order to track these readings the combustion analyzer has to have a strong pump a quick response.  Older Testos (325) could not while their current (327) can much better.  Older Bacharachs were the best however the new Bacharachs are way to slow as is UEI. 

Your piping is good(one line) and you have a good filter.  Is your nozzle an 80 degree solid?  Also, I am not sure what the post-purge is set for, but it can not be less than 8-10minutes.  I am pretty sure their timing are adjustable.  On the Yukons I had to replace every one of them.

O2 should run around 3%-4% with no problem.  Flue temp should be +100 degrees and plenum temperature near 140.
This discussion has been closed.