Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replace Weil coil?

Joel M
Joel M Member Posts: 64
Good day,

My Weil is about 16 years old. The domestic water for showers does not get as hot as it used to. It has been professionally serviced each year and any part needing replacement has been done. I noticed when we had a power outage a little water leaked from the coil seal. My heating contractor said they dont like to replace the coils because sometimes the studs snap off. I would appreciate opinions if this is worth attempting or just put up with it until I can buy a new Buderus and indirect tank. I know a guy who had a plumber freind do his, he said he has bolts and one did snap but the plumber re-tapped it and all is good. Thanks, Joel

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Take a crack (no pun intended) at it.

It's curious that you said it leaked when the boiler when cold. 

Did the leak stop when the boiler heated back up?  You said the showers arent as hot, do you have a mixing valve?  If the mixing valve is fine, then maybe the coil is plugging up

Even though abandoning the coil and adding an indirect would be a better move, if everything else is fine (like your boiler isnt shooting water out of the PRV, due to the leak),why not have the plumber un bolt it, or check the bolts, gasket, etc, and take a look?  Would definately be cheaper then a new boiler/indirect. And it seems you know a guy who will do it right.

But if your definately going the 'new' route, I wouldnt spend the money.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• AMH112181
    AMH112181 Member Posts: 25
    indirect

You could also put the indirect water heater in now since you think you are going to replace it anyway in the future.  Why throw good money into the old boiler when you can put good money next to it.
  • Joel M
    Joel M Member Posts: 64
    Replace Weil coil

Once the igniter went and the boiler shut down. i noticed seepage around the coil, the last time was this week, we lost power for 10 days and i noticed water dripping down from the coil. I guess when it gets cold it contracts, then when it gets running again it expands so the leak stops. I agree about abandoning the coil and going with the indirect but my heating contractor told me the cost is about $500 more for the tank if they are not plumbing it into a new boiler. I think he said $1200 if getting a new boiler, $1700 if connecting to my old boiler. I guess I could wait till spring and have them do the new boiler and tank. Thanks for your suggestions!
This discussion has been closed.