Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help with a booster pump.

Options
STEVEusaPA
STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
Was hoping someone could provide a little guidance on this booster pump set up from a new customer.

This is about 40 years old, no markings on the pump or day tank.

It appears to be an old Suntec 2 stage, single pipe pump.  Couldnt find anything to match it on their website.

It seems to be controlled by a honeywell pressure switch (gray box on left), with setting from 0-18 w.c (currently set a 6).

The pump has 2 input, 2 output ports, no pressure adjusting screw, and no return port.  Neither input port has a bypass plug, or even the ability to put one in.

Here's my questions

1.  Was hoping someone could identify the pump, and point me in the right direction as far as specs--maximum lift, max pipe runs, etc.

2.  The bottom left tapping on the day tank is where the control is screwed in.  It has a well on the inside (about 9 inches high) and appears to be an overflow (like a toilet tank), that was once hooked to a return pipe to an underground tank.  I can only assume this was to prevent the day tank from overflowing in case the pressure switch failed to stop the pump.  That underground tank has been removed and there's an above ground tank far far away, with the pipe from the tank to the booster pump coming up and over from the left.

3. Piped as it is now, it appears if the switch fails, the pump will continue to run and overflow out the top air vent.  Is there a different piping arrangement, or control strategy that would work better?

4. Does anyone know if this booster pump, hooked into the day tank, will self bleed.  I'm concerned about the pump losing its prime.  There is a check valve way back near the tank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Booster Pump:

That's an interesting set up. Not one like I'm familiar with.

It must work.

There are easier ways to do that now

The pump is available. I've used one lately.

The primary pump is "usually" connected as a two pipe" system, not one pipe unless the lift is little or none. That way, you never need to vent it. It should be a 2-pipe system. In my opinion.

The by-pass plug goes in the bottom, discharge, not the inlets.

That fitting on the wall with the two pipes coming from the pump from above is like a "Tigerloop" only a "Tigerloop" would be better.

The whole set-up is someones better idea. There are better ideas.

What is the static lift from the bottom of the oil tank to the level of the burner pump?

A Tigerloop may do the same thing and eliminate the primary pump system.

If it is working, don't futz with it. It will probably work longer than I will be alive.

For what it is worth. 
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options
    Thanks for your reply

ice sailor.  Yes it now is working fine.  I saw no place to insert a bypass plug.  I pulled off all 4 ports and didnt see a place for it.  Unless this pump is so large the bypass is the same size.  I was hoping to put in a bypass & 2 pipe it with a tiger loop, but to no avail..The storage tank is about 100 feet away, thru a recently remodeled room.  So as long as this works, I guess it stays as is.

I just couldnt find a model # on the pump, to confirm all maximum tolerances.

And secondly, I was concerned what may happen if the control fails, and the  pump doesnt shut off.

Thanks again for your insight

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Booster pump

We installed this set up a couple of years back.I'm looking for the paper work,so, this is from memory. The vent on top of the day tank is a vacuum breaker.We put  a check valve inbetween the pump outlet and the day tank. There is supposed to be a return line/overflow from the day tank back to the oil supply tank.We used 1/2" o.d. copper for the supply/return lines.The return line ends at the top of the main oil tank,not down into the tank/oil. I think the booster pump is a "J" body.We pull/push pumped the booster pump,started the booster and it filled the day tank,venting thru the return line. Just an HVAC Guy.
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options
    Techman, thanks for your reply...

What you described is how it probably used to be set up when the tank was underground on the other side of the wall.  Now the tank is above ground on the other side of the building, and a return line would end up going up and over the day tank.

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Booster

The "tank fitting "on the left should be the return line and it goes down hill all the way back to the tank, NO low spots are allowed . This transfer pump is NOT a "J" pump as my poor memory remembered. NO valves of any kind are allowed in the return line because this "transfer pump" developes upto 300psi !! Lift is limited to 25', if not ,consult w/ the factory. Copper tubing of the 1/2" o.d. size is required. There is no pressure adjustment or a bypass.The pressure switch should be replaced every three years.So I think if that pressure switch stays closed there could be some serious problems. My setup is on an above ground tank w/ a 100% berm wall .  I got my setup thru Sid Harvey's ,Riverhead N.Y. Dave Thomas ,manager.631.727.3225.

Part #-P239-1 Supply Pumper. I found my paper work!
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options
    thanks again

For all your help. I'll give them a call.

This discussion has been closed.