Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

backflow preventer

Options
IZZY
IZZY Member Posts: 59
Anyone know if a residential steam boiler<em> requires</em> a backflow preventer in new jersey?  I don't usually see them in existing residential steam boilers.  somebody wants me to replace their leaking 9d, but they seem to leak often and I'd hate to replace it to have it foul again in short time.  if I need a bfp, can i use something like a watts #7 dual check (no vent)?

Thanks

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    backflow preventer

I noticed one in the pictures in this post: http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/138395/Boiler-Flooding-Two-Days-In-A-Row-New-Leak-at-Old-Fill-Valve

I was curious about what it was doing there, between the globe valve and the VXT.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • IZZY
    Options
    yeah

that's the little guy i'm talking about, but it's piped horizontally (not that that matters).
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    Options
    Yes

IRC: P2902.5.1 Connections to boilers. The potable supply to the boiler shall be equipped with a backflow preventer with an intermediate atmospheric vent complying with ASSE 1012 or CSA B64.3. Where conditioning chemicals are introduced into the system, the potable water connection shall be protected by an air gap or a reduced pressure principle backflow preventer complying with ASSE 1013, CSA B64.4 or AWWA C511.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    WATTS 9D

SIMPLY install a horizontal swing check valve between the boiler connection & the 9D  as per nys boiler code & your problem is solved & probably forever.  bob nyc lic. plbr
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Re: backflow preventers

You all are lucky, we have to put reduced pressure backflows even on hot water heating boilers chemicals or not!  It can be a real hassle to install them when they are required to go to a sanitary drain. We sometimes have to pipe from 50 feet away to do a boiler replacement just so we can locate the backflow at a drain.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    RPZ DRAIN PROVISION

Can't see a problem with providing a drain for a backflow SAFETY  device unless you are into charity work & doing it F.O.C.   additional work generates more cash flow & keeps the world in motion. i would say thank you very much to the building dept. unless you do not like making cashola.   bob  nyc lic. plbr.  
  • IZZY
    Options
    thank you.

thank you.
  • IZZY
    Options
    thank you

thank you.
    04090 Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2012
    Options
    backflow preventer vent termination

I meant for this to be at the end of the thread....
    04090 Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2012
    Options
    backflow preventer vent termination

What's the story with just having the backflow preventer vent just open to the floor?

Does it need to be over to a vented drain?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
    Options
    vent

I just installed a new boiler in my house in NJ and a backflow preventer was required.

What I did not do is run a pipe down to the floor from the vent.  This was not required by code and I tried to keep things as simple as possible.  The area I have it in will not be damaged by water or leaks so I'm not concerned about it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Why the code requires vent to be piped near the floor.

I am not a heating pro, but it seems to me that the code requires a vent to go near the floor is so that if the boiler has excess pressure enough to get past the delivery check valve, the water will not spray all over an innocent bystander, just like in the case of a pressure relief valve. The reason these things are not piped directly into a drain is that it is really (as in life safety) important to notice if they are draining because if they do, something needs to be fixed before something else explodes. I, too, live in New Jersey and the installer said the code does require the pipes to go within 6 inches of the floor for backflow preventers, pressure relief valves, and pressure/temperature relief valves.  I hate it. I wish I was allowed to have the pipe end about a foot above the floor; enough to get a bucket under with an air gap. That way I could test the relief valves without making a mess all over the floor.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
    edited January 2012
    Options
    vent pipe

Jean,

According to my code book as well as the NJ state inspector who passed my installation in November a vent pipe is NOT required by code. I specifically asked him about it while he was doing the inspection.  Of course local towns may have their own specific codes but my point is all of NJ is not like this.  I'm sure many areas do not require it while others may.

A check valve was also not required in my situation, though the backflow preventer I used is rated to 250F.

Honestly the only way to know for sure is to check your code book at a local library or to call the inspector and ask.  The inspectors in my area were always glad to help out if I had a question.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
This discussion has been closed.