Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Noisy system

Options
Okay Guys I have hit a wall and could use some ideas. I tied into a system this summer that was in bad shape, and basically re-did it, new near boiler piping, replaced condensate return pipes that were leaking because of blocked wet return, replaced all traps, with hoffman 17c, replaced the three F&T return points with hoffman h pattern bear traps. This system is a noisy little pig on start up, all first floor radiators are cast iron base board with the traps below the floor in the basement. The F&T traps are there to accomodate gravity and return condensate overhead, wet return is only by the boiler about five feet of it. Sytem heats wells, operates well in terms of basic physics, pressure differential from steam side to condensate side. I have chacked grade on all the piping I can get to, and it all is correct. I don't think any of these noises are water hammer, but this thing sure clicks and pops. I would be grateful for any ideas, I have a homeowner who only wanted to quiet the system in the first place, and my explainations about how much better this operates are falling on daef ears.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    strange noises

could this be the pipes touching the wood floor, and as the pipes expand rubbing against the wood, then make some noise.

maybe a mechanics stethoscope would make the noises clearer and more traceable/identifiable.--nbc
  • moneypitfeeder
    moneypitfeeder Member Posts: 249
    Options
    My system

Clicks and pops on start up too. Just at the rads when steam hits them. I believe its the metal expanding and contracting at the push nipple. My rads are mainly really large convector style. Water hammer is way different than a "tinking". If you have water hammer, you and your neighbors will know. But yes if you hear it near a supply riser, check to make sure its not rubbing on the floor/ceiling.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mike Miller_2
    Mike Miller_2 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    noisy system

Okay, thanks for the input I have so far, it really seems like this noise is coming from the 17c thermadisc traps, has anyone had this problem before and is a potential solution going to an orifice trap?
This discussion has been closed.