Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Banging Zone Valves ...

markotah
markotah Member Posts: 36
I installed a Grundfos Alpha pump with three Honeywell zone vales in the secondary loop instead of three separate circulators since this new technology will lower the electric usage.

The complaint now is banging zone valves. I remember reading an article on this a while back. My guess is there are two zones calling and when one shuts down we get the bang. Has anyone come up with a way to solve this problem?

Comments

• Simply Rad
    Simply Rad Member Posts: 191
    Bang bang

The only time I have heard a band when the ball valve closed was when they were installed backwards.  The zone valves have an arrow on them, check the orientation is correct.

Regards

Jeffrey
    Jeffrey Campbell
  • markotah
    Flow direction

The flow direction is correct. 
  • ChasMan
    ChasMan Member Posts: 462
    Alpha

Those Alphas move more water on auto that the three speeds do on low. Like twice as much. That could be your issue. If it bangs when set on low, try removing one of the return springs on the zone valves.
  • markotah
    problem solved!

I finally was in front of the equipment when we had the bang. The problem was a sticking micro switch on one of  the zone valves. We had the bang and the circulator was still on on. I noticed the current Honeywell ZV seem to have the switch positioned so it breaks long before the valve closes avoiding any dead heading. This one closed and after tapping it the circ shut down.

I do like the new Alpha pump with the ZV. The power draw is very low.
This discussion has been closed.