Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

phosphate free boiler cleaner?

Options
Hi all, I know Dan recommends mex, but its not available locally for me. ( know I can have it shipped, but that seems silly for a detergent.) Are there any other options that can be bought at just about any hardware store that are phosphate free and will work as a boiler cleaner? When I went to my local supply house they looked at me like I had sprouted a second head when I asked for such a thing. The only cleaner they had for boilers was basically just TSP.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    boiler cleaner

peerless boiler recommends arm and hammer washing soda for cleaning after installation, but i do not know about its phosphate content.--nbc
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Washing Soda

I use washing soda. It's just sodium carbonate (not bicarbonate, i.e. baking soda), so it may contain trace amounts of phosphate ions, but your water contains trace amounts of phosphate ions too. Some people use sodium hydroxide (aka lye), but washing soda is easier to get and safer to handle, and it does a great job.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • moneypitfeeder
    moneypitfeeder Member Posts: 249
    Options
    Thanks!

For the quick replies. Washing soda it is.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Peerless Skimming Instructions

Hi- Attached are the Peerless skimming Instructions with includes the mixing of the washing soda. I have a Peerless and this worked quite well. Be sure you get the "Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster /Cleaner"  Arm and Hammer makes other detergent products under the Arm & Hammer name.

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.