Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

End of Main Piping question

Options
USA498
USA498 Member Posts: 45
I have successfully re-piped my near boiler piping and the system runs quite well. Its about 8-10 min to fill the main. Thanks to all that guided me on this great site !

While looking at the end of the main just as it goes to the dry return I questioned the piping used. It looks like it would accumulate quite a bit of condensate in the Main before the first elbow.

I was thinking there should be a eccentric reducer somewhere in the mix so that the puddle does not form.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    I agree,

but eccentric reducers are really hard to find. You could just rotate the reducing elbow until the bottom is level or pitched downward. Make sure the rest of the dry return drops at least 1" per 20'. (You might want to check this with one of the pros, but I'm pretty sure that's right.)
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    eccentric reducer

I agree with Hap hazzard, if you turn the reducing el downward, you would eliminate the puddle.  I can't tell if your end of main, heading back to the boiler has enough fall that you can do that.

Regarding the eccentric reducers, I spent over a year lookin for eccentric reducing bushings and have concluded that no pipe manufacturer is currently manufacturing them.  However, eccentric bell reducers are being made by Anvil Pipe.  They are commonly used for fire sprinkler applications so you may have to go to a sprinkler or major pipe supplier to get one.  You won't find them in the plumbin shops.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • USA498
    Options
    A Dimension

Thanks for your replies Hap & Dave.

I am a little concerned that my A dimension will not be ideal if I pitch the current configuration of the main. I am currently at 28" for the A Dimension and will probably lose an inch when I pitch them.

I was thinking about removing the two reducing elbows and installing 2 - 2" elbows and then an eccentric reducer which will drain the end and not have that much effect on the A Dimension.

While I was repiping the ends of the main I thought I would relocate the Main Vents here as well. The vents are currently piped at the end of the dry returns.
  • Dave in QCA
    Options
    Looks like you have plenty...

In the photo, it looks like you have plenty of dimension A, but photos can be deceiving.  You are measuring to the water line, right?
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
  • USA498
    Options
    dry return height

Dave, the bottom of the dry return is 28" from the center of the glass. I guess being that I don't run over a pound ( more like 1 to 2 oz ) I doubt it would be a problem going shorter than 28". Would you agree ?
  • Dave in QCA
    Options
    reasonable

That seems like a reasonable assumption, however, I would be reluctant to drop more than an inch or 2.

On the other hand, the puddle is at the end of the distribution main, no supply steam going over that puddle, just condensate heading back to the boiler, and steam on its way to the main vent. So, it is not likely to impede steam getting to your radiators.  If it has not caused any water hammer, it might be best to leave well enough alone.
  • USA498
    Options
    radiator take off

Dave, there is a radiator take off about 3 inches back from the end and I am pretty sure there is a big puddle. I have the same issue with the other main piped the same way. Both radiators/piping  have water hammer and don't heat very quickly compared to others on the main
  • Dave in QCA
    Options
    Go for it!

In that case, I'd say its time to fix the problem!  I don't think an inch or 2 will hurt you on your B dimension.
This discussion has been closed.