Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need opinions on connecting mains to new header

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,714
Ok so I'm at the point where I can finally connect my mains into the new header.

However!  One of the mains even though it lines up, the only way to get it to connect at the right angle is to really push up on it.  I can use a hanger but there will be quite a bit of pressure on it and I would assume its associated radiator pipes.

Would you take the time and cut the pipe out of the fitting all the way at the back and run a new 90 ell into a whole new length of pipe, or just push up hard, throw a strap on it and call it a day?

Here is a picture showing the main in question before I removed the old boiler and header.  It is the one on the right with the union just above the header.  We removed the pipe going into the 90 so I have good clean threads to connect into it with.   The only option I have is to remove the 90 deg ell at the back behind the light which goes into a 4" nipple.  Once I remove that and install new I could put it at any angle I want with no pressure or stress on things..
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• ChrisJ
    Options
    Got it

I decided to just make the mains go where I needed them.  I used hangers to do the forcing\moving and then adjusted them to allow the mains to set right onto the header via the unions.

I think it came out pretty decent.  I kind of wish I didn't drop the header so much but kind of late for that now.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • moneypitfeeder
    moneypitfeeder Member Posts: 249
    Options
    Looks Great!

I think the drop is really good. Nice job on the repipe!

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    Pretty decent

is an understatement ! That is truly great pipework ! 
  • ChrisJ
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Thanks

for the compliments I appreciate it.  I think I'll be relieved when I find out whether I have any leaks or not.

I ended up using Megaloc on most joints.  I used Megaloc + blue monster tape on joints into the block as well as the two old connections into the original mains.  All of the connections into the new ward cast fittings seemed so clean and smooth I felt the dope alone should work out ok. I hope I was right.
This discussion has been closed.