Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe Rusting and Residue GULP "Give it to me straight Doc"

Options
Breez
Breez Member Posts: 8
Have a "mature" American Standard furnace that has a rusting c<span>orrosion that I have noticed leaves rust flakes from the pipes where it enters into the furnace. Am I looking at a furnace replacement or can the pipes be replaced? If the latter is this very costly? Thanks</span>

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Hard to tell

Shedding rust scale is something steam pipes just do. They're mild steel, they get hot, and they expand and contract, so they always leave a shadow of fine rust flakes under them.

But what I'm seeing in those pictures is seepage. It looks like some of the threads weren't sealed throughly and over the years, water has leaked out and caused rust to accumulate.

Personally I wouldn't want to try to get those pipes out, but as long as they aren't dripping on the floor, I'd leave them alone. If they eventually have to come out, you're just looking at a bad day, not a new boiler. There are some tricks to getting large pipe out of old boilers, and when the time comes there are people here who can help you, but if you don't feel up to it, call in a professional who can replace the pipes and give the boiler a thorough inspection and cleaning.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Breez
    Breez Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks That Eases My Mind

Good to hear. I imagine I would see small droplets of water if the nipple was starting to breach and I would have ample time to call in a professional.
This discussion has been closed.