Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

vaporstat and pressuretrol

Options
MarkB
MarkB Member Posts: 4
Hi,

New to the board and thanks for the help. I already got a great bit of help.

I read all about the advantages of a Vaporstat (L408J 1017) over a Pressuretrol (PA404A) and ordered a Vaporstat just a bit ago but I have a question. It sounds like a silly but it's a safety question so I gotta ask.

The Pressuretrol documentation says it's a high limit safety control. Do I need both the Vaporstat and the Pressuretrol? If so do I just T it and install? Also is it plug and play with the two existing wires.

Thanks for the help and understanding,

Makr

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Use the Old Pressuretrol as a backup.

Hi- There is no such thing as a silly question! The Vaporstat serves exactly the same purpose as the Pressuretrol. It's just that the Vaporstat is designed to be operate more accurately at low (ounces per sq inch) pressure.  Most people retain their old Pressuretrol and set it to cut off at 5 PSI. Set up this way it is a safety backup if the Vaporstat ever fails. Beyond that you have the safety valve which will blow off if the boiler pressure ever reaches 15 PSI. (One can't have too many safety "backups"!)   If possible it isn't a bad idea to mount it on it's own port and pigtail so that if the other pigtail / port gets plugged the other will probably be free.  On a lot of boilers a second port isn't available so you just tee the low pressure gauge and vaporstat and old pressuretrol off the same boiler port.

- Rod
  • MarkB
    MarkB Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks

Hey Rod,

Thanks again and I guess for the second time.

Mark
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Can I use an L408J on a 24V system?

The product data sheet shows contact ratings for 120V and 240V applications, but it's just a switch, after all. Am I right in assuming these will work with high or low voltage control circuits?
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    Options
    Yes

It will work with 24V.
This discussion has been closed.