Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydronic help needed for completing an installation

Sparky49
Sparky49 Member Posts: 18
Baby it is cold outside. This installation was started and now no one wants to finish it. Too busy or not willing to finish another person's project I guess.

Anyway,  the boiler is installed and piping. The expansion tank is installed on the hot side of the boiler. The piping is run to the attic where there are two duct coils. There is a unit heater in the boiler room/garage but no piping. It came with a thermostat and temperature sensor for the pipe.

I have been told it is a "simple system" and to get it done now, but from what I've read, there are a lot of errors possible with a three zone system. One error is already in, the expansion tank.

What would you recommend I do to get it installed right? Are there good reference books or drawings available?

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    RE

What's wrong with the expansion tank? It belongs on the supply. But the circulator should be after the tank on the supply as well.

What exactly would you like advise on as far as the system goes?
  • Sparky49
    Sparky49 Member Posts: 18
    JStar (thanks for the questions)

As far as the expansion tank was concerned, http://www.pmengineer.com/Articles/Feature_Article/2000/05/03/The-Do-s-Don-ts-of-Hydronic-System-Design says you should Pump Away from the tank. Is that right? So, what you are saying is that the pump needs to be moved up to after the tank. Boiler, tank, pump, coils right?

I need to know what else is wrong, and what needs to be added to the system to complete it.

It seems like it is complicated to me.

Does it need to run all of the time to keep the boiler from rusting?

Do temperature sensors and zone valves need to be installed on the heat pump's duct coils?

Should an outside temperature sensor be installed to turn the boiler on?

Should the heat pump controls be tied into the boiler controls?

Same thing with the unit heater's thermostat?

Is the piping done correctly in the attic?

How do the zone valves get installed? Next to the coils in copper pipe?

I'm not sure what else to ask. . .
This discussion has been closed.