Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need opions WM EG-45 minor problem

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,132
I just want opinions on how I should handle a mistake I made on my own boiler.  WM EG-45 being setup for steam.

When I installed the flue collector on the block the instructions never mentioned the draft hood not allowing for any horizontal movement to line up the screws into the flue collector and I never really thought about it. 

So I installed the flue collector and did a really nice job with the boiler cement.  I laid a thin bead on the block and sat the hood down into it and then smeared it along the edge on both the outside and inside of the hood.  Point being it came out really good and I'm betting is sealed really good.  The problem is my screw holes in the draft hood are about an 1/8" away from the holes in the collector hood.  The way I see it I have two options.

A: Remove the collector hood, clean all of the cement off and redo it with the draft hood attached.

B : Leave the collector hood alone and elongate the holes on the draft hood to allow the screws to line up.  This should in no way compromise the seal.

I'm a perfectionist and right now am not sure what I want to do with it.  Am I the only one that has run into this problem on this style boiler?
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,132
    edited November 2011
    Wow

No one else has made this mistake?

That doesn't make me feel too smart.  I ended up using a file and elongating the holes in the draft hood.  It seemed to mount on really easy like this and I was able to square it up well with the block.  I need to head to bed so I'll cement it up tomorrow as per the instructions.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
This discussion has been closed.