Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam newbie

Options
I'm not much of a steam guy so any help is appreciated. I'm a plumber and a hydronics guy.

I went to look at a lack of heat in a residence, two story. One pipe system that splits and runs back to the boiler on the periphery of the home. There are main air vents on the ends of both dry returns. The pressuretrol was set at 1psi cut in with a 3psi DP. It has a 50 psi gauge so it doesn't even register. The boiler is hot. The first floor radiators are about 1/3 warm. The upper floor radiators are cold as are the pipes up to them.

I tried to look at the radiator air vents and all but one are stuck in the corner so I couldn't even read them. The one that is not in the corner is screwed into a street 90 which is so stripped out I could just pull the fitting right out of the radiator. Lots of teflon tape and jammed into the hole. There is no boss on the radiator just a threaded/stripped hole. I didn't get any steam or air when I pulled that vent out.

The homeowner says nothing has changed and it worked last heating season just fine
This discussion has been closed.