Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hartford loop

Options
I have found a boiler installed several years ago and the hartford loop is above the water line of the boiler is this the problem I have during extreme cold whether the boiler will flood. I have noted to the home owner association that the a dimension may not be correct and that the end of main vents may not be working causing the condensate to hold in the system but today I noted the Hartford loop and am wondering if it also could be the cause.

Comments

• moneypitfeeder
    moneypitfeeder Member Posts: 249
    Options
    probably a clogged return

The hartford is there to protect your boiler from dry firing if the pressuretrol fails, and the pressure in the boiler rises and sends water out of the boiler and fills the returns, leaving your running boiler waterless. Could be caused when the boiler  its running for long periods during really cold weather that its sending alot of steam up to the rads, and the condensate is taking forever to filter through a clog to return. When it finally does, if you have a auto water feed installed, it will flood. During the time that it was held up in the return piping the autofeed kicks on cause the boiler was low, then by the time it makes it back, there is too much.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Gifford Loop

When the return connects to the equalizer piping above the water line, it is usually referred to as a Gifford Loop.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
This discussion has been closed.