Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

close call

Options
a customer called at 11:30 pm and said these exact words.  My boiler is glowing cherry red and I think there might be something wrong

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    hehehe

he thinks??
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• steamy ray vaughn
    steamy ray vaughn Member Posts: 30
    Options
    close call

The boiler actually cracked the concrete pad it was sitting on and melted the transformer
  • steamy ray vaughn
    Options
    close call

The boiler actually cracked the concrete pad it was sitting on and melted the transformer
  • steamy ray vaughn
    Options
    close call

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    WOW

Scary stuff...think I'd pull the plug and run...
  • steamy ray vaughn
    Options
    close call

Went there the next morning the safguard 400 did not shut down the burner and the 47-2 lwco feed combo float was laying on a mountain of mud.  Cut in a bypass line to see if the vessel would hold nodice.  the returns where 90% plugged.  He has no idea how lucky he really was.
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Scarey Stuff

Run away dry firing is always scarey.  Makes me wonder why no one ever thinks of mounting an acquastat set at 240F.  It would shut the boiler down before any damage was done.  Of courese, the cast might still crack, but there were be better protection against a building fire.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,710
    edited October 2011
    Options
    That is the

first time I ever felt a triple post was valid and even necessary.  Kind of showed some emotion even tho it was a mistake..

I'm about to install a Safegaurd 400 on my own boiler.  Is it common for them to fail like that?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Dave in QCA
    Options
    Agree!

with you on the triple post!
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
  • steamy ray vaughn
    Options
    close call

funny thing that the customer forgot to mention on the phone was that he had replaced the transformer prior to putting it into service.  He told me that he is a car mechanic. I don't think I'll be taking my car to him in the near future
  • Dave in QCA
    Options
    radiator flush?

At least I would not let him to a radiator / coolant flush! 

By the way.....    qca= Quad Cities??
  • steamy ray vaughn
    Options
    close call

yep Quad Cities
  • Dave in QCA
    Options
    Howdy

Nice to see someone on here from home.  
  • steamy ray vaughn
    Options
    hello

hello back at ya. 
This discussion has been closed.