Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

haventseenenough

Options
I have an odd question, a restaurant I do work in uses its swamp cooler for make up air in the winter season for the kitchen. The owner wants to condition this incoming air to keep the kitchen warmer. The warm air furnace is in the second floor of the building. My thought is to duct the furnace into the swamp cooler supply duct and use duct dampers to control the heat and fresh air. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Make-up air.

Where do you live? Check into a CaptiveAir make-up air/heat unit. I would be suprised if the existing heat on the 2nd floor is sized for a make-up air application. Cooling can be added,but ,it only removes sensible heat.
  • haventseenenough
    haventseenenough Member Posts: 61
    Options
    make up air

Southwest corner of Colorado , What is a Captiveair makeup unit? Also keeping in mind that the best way is not always the most sellable way. Sense always goes before the dollars go.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Air

CaptiveAir is an Exhaust Fan and Make-up air Co. Exhaust hoods,too.
  • haventseenenough
    Options
    make up air

Thanks Techman I will find more info on them.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    make air /speed controller

As others have stated use a outside make up air unit and install speed controllers to balance the exhaust hoods to make up ,other wise you may be putting the building into a negative balance and exhausting either heat or cooling depending on the season.I have ran into this many times and after straightening things out not only was the heating/cooling working properly but the ulities bills went down as comfort went up .On a side note most chiefs hate it being that now the kitchen is hot which usually happens when the exhaust hoods are not pulling a the building into a negative pressure and wasting the cooling .peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • haventseenenough
    Options
    make up air

Are you talking about matching cfm's from the make up air and draft hood? Like a properly balanced a/c system?
This discussion has been closed.