Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Chimney Options

I'm installing a coal boiler (Axeman-Anderson 130) in my shop/garage to heat both the shop and eventually run insulated pipe back to my house to heat that also.  Right now my biggest obstacle is how to get the chimney run.  I was planning on using 6" triple-wall stainless insulated chimney pipe and running it inside until I found out that most require 2" clearance to combustibles.  Unfortunately I have to pass between 2x12 floor joists that are 12" on center (about 10.5" between them which does not allow for the 8+" OD and a 2" clearance.  Is there any way to mitigate the combustibles being closer than 2" but covering them with flashing or some sort of fire barrier?  Do I have other better chimney options?

Thanks,

Ryan

Comments

• meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Solid fuel appliances not allowed in a garage.

NFPA 211

12.2.3 Solid Fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any location where gasoline or any other flammable vapors or gases are present.

12.2.4 Solid Fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage.

As such, any of us licensed for solid fuel, cannot provide you advice on this installation

Also, your local inspector or home insurance may not allow this installation since it is in direct violation of the nationally accepted code.
  • ensoniq322
    ensoniq322 Member Posts: 4
    What is the definition of a garage?

What is the definition of being in a garage?  My garage is actually a 3-story bank barn and the coal boiler is going to be installed in the basement - in the horse barn portion of the building and will have a boiler room built around it.  There are no cars parked on the floor of the building where the coal boiler will be.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    The AHJ

The Authority Having Jurisdiction makes that determination.

That may be your local code official. Or in some rural areas, it is your homeowner's insurance provider.

Worth checking first. If there was a fire, an illegal installation is grounds for denial of claim.
  • ensoniq322
    Back to the question

So, until I can check with the local code official, are there any chinmey options I can consider and price out?  I'm trying to get a feel for whether this is even feasible both technically and financially.  I really don't want the dust and noise of the boiler in my house basement but I already have a chimney in my house and could put it in the house if necessary but I want to know what my chimney options are first.

Thanks,

Ryan
  • ensoniq322
    Back to the question

So, until I can check with the local code official, are there any chinmey options I can consider and price out?  I'm trying to get a feel for whether this is even feasible both technically and financially.  I really don't want the dust and noise of the boiler in my house basement but I already have a chimney in my house and could put it in the house if necessary but I want to know what my chimney options are first.

Thanks,

Ryan
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Head off a joist

If you have a decent carpenter in your area he should be able to "head off the joist" that's in the way. He will cut out the section of joist thats in the way and suspend the cut ends off the joists on either side. It's tough to descibe, but a very common practice. (couple hours work). Hope this helps.

Rob
This discussion has been closed.