Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

30 yr old Vent Damper

Goose14
Goose14 Member Posts: 1
The 30 yr old "Mizer M15" vent damper is no longer running. Motor is bad. I called our local furnace company for advice. We decided to get the furnace running by jumping the vent damper. I followed him over the phone to the point as follows...Open the box and see 4 wires. 2 control the motor. 2 feed to the ignitor on the furnace. What I'm to do is jump the 2 wires that control the motor and make sure the switch is in the "on" position so the message makes it to the ignitor when the thermostat triggers it. Here's the problem, the 4 wires coming in go to a transformer box, then several wires exit this box. I have a white and yellow that come from the box and go in/out of the motor. Are these the two that I need to jump? Or does anyone have instructions/diagram of the inside of the M15...

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    not familiar

with that particular damper, but they are all about the same. I wouldn't advise jumping anything to fool the system into thinking that it is venting properly. Definite no-no. It is most likely a 24 volt motor that is bad, if it is being energized via a step down transformer. The end switch, proven switch, or whatever you want to call it, is what will allow the system to fire off. If the vent does not open, then it should run. Have it upgraded or repaired, and don't try to operate it by tricking it. If your furnace guy talked you thru this, it may be time to find another one. JMHO
This discussion has been closed.