Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil fired heat appliance

x600
x600 Member Posts: 6
two zone floor heat system (open system, we use floor water for domestic hot water) currently using a Bock 32E for hot water set to 120degF. there's 28 gal in the floor tubes.

would like some suggestions for a new and more efficient water heating appliance. Water temp won't ever exceed 120degF. the current system works okay but with oil going well above four bucks a gallon would like more efficiency. Thanks.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Suggestions:

Here's a suggestion, start saving your money to replace the Bock 32E water heater because in my experience, they won't last more than three years in that application. They are not heating boilers. They are water heaters. Water heaters aren't designed to be used as boilers.

If you don't believe me, call Bock and ask them if they approve of the application you are using their water heater for.

The biggest danger to you is that while the floor heat is off, bacteria will happily grow and thrive in the floor piping. For you to enjoy in your potable water whenever the floor heat is used.

There's never enough time to do it right but there's always time to do it over.

It's amazing how much money you can save by doing it wrong the first time.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    There's never enough time to do it right but there's always time to do it over.

I liked another way of saying this. I used to say this where I used to work. It did not make me popular with the management.

We haven't time to stop for gas: we are late already.
  • x600
    Oil fired heat appliance

You might look up information on 'open systems' as they refer to in-floor heating systems.

The water in the system is no more stagnant than in the domestic supply system in any conventionally plumbed home, as you mistakenly assume.

My Bock 32E has been in service since September of 2002 and has required only normal service. The manufacturer approved the installation in writing.
  • x600
    Oil fired heat appliance

I'm not too sure what to make of your reply. If you doubt the wisdom of the installation, take into consideration that it has been in place for nine years without any problems.

If you're suggesting a gas conversion, that's a good idea except that gas is not available at my location. (LP is the same price as oil but not as efficient.)

It's a shame that no one wants to address my question rather than tout their own opinion.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Think again.

Maybe Mr. Eatherton will chime in as he is a Legionella survivor.

What you have is a textbook example of the type of systems that have caused Legionella Contamination all over the country. This type of system is specifically forbidden in many jurisdictions and where it is not specifically forbidden it is not an acceptable practice.

I am absolutely shocked that Bock would authorize this application in writing. The fact that you have had this system operating for 9 years with no problems is pure luck and nothing else.

The proper solution is to separate the domestic hot water and the heating system via a flat plate heat exchanger at the very least. The proper solution is to utilize an appliance that is approved as a central heating appliance and a separate domestic w Either an indirect, on demand, or a separate tank type water heater.

You have been ridiculously lucky. Maybe it is time to play the lottery.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    like everyone else said

separate the . Water heaters are not approved for space heating. As Meplumber said, you can use a plate heat exchanger to separate the 2. It will take some materials and knowledge. 
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    I would put in....

A good quality 3 pass oil fired boiler (buderus, Biasi, Bunham MPO,etc) pipe it for the lower water temps (oil boilers generally don't like sustained water temps below 135F). and then put a well insulated indirect water heater off the boiler as a sep. zone. Some of the newer gas fired boilers are ideal for radiant floor but LP gas can be pricey/ btu. Is Nat. Gas around?
  • x600
    Oil fired heat appliance

to meplumber

Your response is without reference to any credible sources because there are none. The CDC has numerous informational articles on Legionellosis which will help you be better informed. As a plumber, if in fact you are one, you'll be interested in the relationship between the growth of the pathogen and the materials used to transport domestic water as well as other practical considerations including temperature and distance between the source and outlet.
  • x600
    Oil fired heat appliance

to kcopp

Thank you. I will do my homework on your suggestion and try to run some numbers to see if the system can pay for itself over a reasonable time frame. And no, no natural gas in my area though they have North Americas biggest supply about 700 miles away and they just pump it back into the ground.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Who the hell are you!

I am in fact a Master Plumber, Master Oil Burner/Solid Fuel/LP & Natural Gas Technician and have been one for many, many years.

Who do you think you are coming on this board of credentialed professionals that offer free advice to the public, and then debunk the advice for which you asked.

Not only that but to question the legitimacy and knowledge of those of us on here.

I think it would be best to take you attitude and questions elsewhere.

Not only is the evidence there, but there are professional members of this board that have contracted Legionairre's Disease. Read what you wish and believe what you wish.

I am done trying to save your life.
This discussion has been closed.