Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hey all, re: twinning Burnham indepedance boilers

Options
tim smith
tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
Anyone know if it is approved to twin 2 IN7 steamers together. Nothing in the iom manual and just wondering. It is to late to get a hold of Burnham today but am trying to figure out.  Small apt building without heat and only ones I can get quickly. Thanks all, Tim

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    modular boilers

here is a link to several discussions on the subject:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum/search

with a vaporstat controlling the boilers, you could come up to operating pressure on the 2, and then switch one off and on to maintain the low pressure we like for steam. the manual for my peerless 211a shows a modular installation piping diagram, so it would give you an idea of how it can be done.--nbc
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    absolutely

you can! we do it all the time.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• tim smith
    Options
    Re: Twinning

Gerry and Nicholas, thanks for the replies. My main question was that I did not see it in the Burnham pipe up and was just seeing if there was any reason not to do with the Independance boiler. I looked at the Caravan boiler from slant fin also but the Burnham I can get faster and in turn get heat back to these 13 apts quicker. The pipe up is pretty straight forward but just wondering. Thanks again, Tim
  • tim smith
    Options
    Re: Twinning

Gerry and Nicholas, thanks for the replies. My main question was that I did not see it in the Burnham pipe up and was just seeing if there was any reason not to do with the Independance boiler. I looked at the Caravan boiler from slant fin also but the Burnham I can get faster and in turn get heat back to these 13 apts quicker. The pipe up is pretty straight forward but just wondering. Thanks again, Tim
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    tag-team boilers

how has the old boiler failed? it's useful to know that, if possible, to make corrections on the new installation.

are you sure about the size of the new boiler you will need [edr]?

the modular aspect does look to have long term advantages in fuel economy, when used with a vaporstat, as long as the piping/pressure is right. you don't want the inactive boiler to have a wild rising waterline as the active continues to fire at too much pressure. my 7 very large apartments heat well at 8 oz. max. i have very generous main [not radiator] vents. let us know how it comes out, with fuel use information if possible. the gas company may think the meter is malfunctioning, , due to the lower consumption,and change it out, as they did in our case!--nbc
This discussion has been closed.