Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gravity Boiler heating issues

I have a 1908 Gurney boiler in my home.

I have had to remove a couple lines to an upper rad so that I could reroute them as I was adding some steel beam supports in basement and teleposts.

I emptied the system. Refilled it and now have problems with a few of the rads on one 'run' of the pipes. Not anything to do with the pipes I rerouted. That rad is fine.

It is on another run which feeds #1) a massage room, #2) a bathroom # 3+4) 2 rads in daughters bedroom.

The hot water coming from the top of the boiler is very hot going to the other 3 runs.(kitchen, livingroom, foyer)

The one of concern is hot for about 3 ft, then cool.

Last night, we bled for hours and got the first one in this fourth run to get hot. excited, we thought "now if we move to the next rad and bleed it, maybe that will work"

Nada. Now the first one(Massage room) is cold again.

It is an open system, no pump, expansion tank in upper bathroom off of master, 1 line off of upper rad in master bathroom, line out from there out the side of the house to atmosphere.

Additional considerations:

The rad between #2(bathroom) and first rad in #3(daughters bedroom) are connected through the wall. Looks almost like in parrallel.

This system worked perfect before. It heated this 2 storey 110 year old 1550 sq/ft home well.

I don't know how we could actually bleed any more air from the system. Or from where?

It does not have a regulator for 'city water'. It is just a tap like for turning on a  garden hose to fill on the side of cold water manifold. I have left the water on and it has overflowed onto the roof, which is fine. I realize that when heated and if the expansion tank was too full, that is exactly what it is designed to do.

I would be happy to send a multitude of pictures.

Need help getting these rads to heat.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Berst regards,

Ron

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    RE

So the system worked fine. You made changes. Now the systems doesn't work fine. But you don't think the two are related? I would keep all possibilities open.

When you were bleeding, did you get a lot of air, or mostly water?

It's possible that you did not fill the system correctly. You need to add water slowly, venting all of the first level radiators at the same time, then closing them off and work your way to the second floor. If you filled all the piping, then tried to bleed afterwards, you are going to create points of low pressure which will let air in through the open vent on the roof.

Pictures would be nice. Or at least a drawing of before and after the changes you made.
This discussion has been closed.