Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water Tower

Options
I was asked to give a price on a replacement steam boiler that keeps a outdoor water tower for the buildings sprinkler system from freezing.

There is no information on whatever is up in the water tower. All I have to go on is the existing boiler size.

It has been operating fine with the existing boiler for over 10 years as is. So I can replace like for like but I would rather know a little more.

Any information out there on what might be up there.

Thanks in advance.

John

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    steam tower

10 years is rather a short life for that boiler! if you could find out why it failed, you might be able to prevent another early demise.

first thoughts might be excess makeup water from a leak in whatever is in the tower, or thermal shock from an inproper return.--nbc
  • J Heritage
    J Heritage Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Water Tower

It is still operating and leak free.

They are only considering replacement to be proactive. They don't want to have it go down in the middle of winter and risk freezing the tower.

This is a new account to me.

I did find they are purposely dumping steam/condensate in the outdoor pit below the tower due to it is a low spot in the steam supply. I am offering a solution for this also whether they replace the boiler or not.
This discussion has been closed.