Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing old mainline vent

Options
I am trying to change out an old mainline vent which is probably an original (80 yrs). This thing is really stuck. I've tried heating it, twisting it, whacking it with a backup, and speaking sternly to it.  I'm afraid if I twist any harder I'll crush the pipe out of round.  Any old tried and true tricks out there?

Comments

• moneypitfeeder
    moneypitfeeder Member Posts: 249
    Options
    my 2 cents

Take with a grain of salt,

Beat the heck out of the thing with a hammer, (close to where it threads in), then heat it, then say a few appropriate words after it still doesn't budge. Walk away, come back spray with w/d 40 so that it will really stink the next time you try to heat it. Leave overnight, come back try again to break with the largest wrench with breaker bar you can fit in between the floor joists, and while standing on a step ladder because you can't reach it, realize it is futile. Say a few more appropriate words. Get a drill, because now creativity has struck, drill a hole through the pipe nipple. Say a few more words cause it'll take a while to get through that steel. Run the largest screwdriver or round piece of metal you've got through said hole, and then beat on it. Say a few more appropriate words, 'cause she's still not gonna budge. Give up, walk away take ten, come back heat the heck out of it with a torch again, put a wrench on her and low and behold the nipple might turn out, and you're mission complete.

Don't know if you can actually glean any good advice from this, but this roughly the path I took, I don't know which part of the whole mess helped me get the job done, but I'm a girl who doesn't like to admit defeat. Darn thing might have taken me a week to do, but I was determined to not have to sawzall the nipple out and chisel out the remains out of the threads up in the cavity of the floor joists.

Good Luck!

Dee

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• MotownSteamer
    MotownSteamer Member Posts: 110
    Options
    PB Blaster

is the way to go. The BEST penetrating oil out there. Soak overnight. I took off my Bishop/Babcock vacu-vent, but I needed a 5' cheater bar. Be careful and good luck
This discussion has been closed.