Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Two insulation Questions

Options
Kbalz
Kbalz Member Posts: 53
Hello,

Over the spring, I had all asbestos insulation removed from my one pipe steam main and boiler. I am planning on re-insulating using fiberglass. I've seen many pictures on this site with "before" and "after" shots of insulation, and most pictures look amazing - as in once all of the fittings are done, the insulation looks like one continuous white pipe cover. What product is used to get this finished look?

A second question - My main steam pipe is very close to the ceiling, and I can get 1/2 inch insulation round the first 15-25 feet of the pipe, and after that I can get a full inch. The near-boiler pipe can get up to two inches of insulation. Is it OK to mix diameters of insulation? I'm trying to maximize the amount I use.

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,700
    Options
    Insulation

I bought all of my insulation and fitting covers from www.buyinsulationproducts.com

Be warned shipping is a killer on this stuff.  The insulation they sell seems to be high quality name brand stuff.   They also have the fitting covers you asked about.

As far as thickness I'm trying to use 1" thick on all of my pipes.  If you can only fit 1/2" in spots then use 1/2" only where necessary and then step back to 1" everywhere else.  Most feel 2" is a waste of money.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Maine Vent
    Maine Vent Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Insulation Business

Look in area yellow pages for a commercial insulation business. They will sell to small buyers. Here in Maine we have General Insulation Company in Lewiston. They carry all types, all sizes, and all accessories. Or ask your local heating supply house who they recommend.
    Weil McLean SGO4, Riello Gas Burner
    404 sq ft EDR
    Old Burnham V8 Removal
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    edited October 2011
    Options
    PVC fitting covers

There are a lot of choices to get that finished look.  I posted my entire insulation file here   http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/137178/Insulation 

Most of mine was done in the same thickness, but I see no reason why you couldn't use two different thicknesses on the same pipe.  There is this fitting cover called a union, slice it in half with a bandsaw---1" on one side and 1/2" on the other
  • JH_2
    JH_2 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    plumbing supply

Look for a local plumbing supply house.  When I did mine I got everything from F.W. Webb.  When I bought the insulation and fittings they gave me the special tape along with it.
  • Kbalz
    Kbalz Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks!

Thank you for all of the suggestions, it has been helpful - I found two local dealers and will be contacting them this week to compare with the online + shipping methods.
This discussion has been closed.