Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Combustion air requirements

Brian_79
Brian_79 Member Posts: 7
Greetings all. I have a Thermopride furnace with a Beckett burner that is approximately three years old. It is situated in a large furnace room that also serves as a storage area, work area, etc. The room is approximately 25ft long by 15ft wide.

Do I need a vent to the outside for fresh air, or is there a way to connect a direct air line to the burner. The room is not heated by the HVAC system and I would like to eliminate the draft that I have from the large vent that is there from a previous system.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    outside air

Yes, you would be best to have an outside air intake. The Field part# is CAS-2
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    NFPA

requirement for an unconfined space is 50 cu/ft per 1000 BTU input. Figure out your volume and find the input in BTU and you'll have your answer. In your case with an 8' you can support 60K BTU input,if it's more than that you need outside air.

http://www.fieldcontrols.com/cas.php
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    yes

What Bob said. Sorry had to rush off, so reply post was cut short. Keep in mind that storage- boxes, shelves, etc, all subtract from your square footage. Your room may be one size, but you need to take into consideration all that is in there taking up square footage. Even if you had enough, a work shop usually spells trouble.That usually warrants outside air intake just to keep all that saw dust, etc from plugging up the burner's air intake causing it to run rich. I would also make sure all return ducts are tightly sealed, and there should be no returns open in that room.
  • Brian_79
    Brian_79 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you!

Thank you all for the information. I never gave any thought to furniture, etc, taking up cubic feet of available air! All great information and very helpful. Thanks again!!!
This discussion has been closed.