Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BTU

Isi
Isi Member Posts: 7
I have an Oil Boiler with Steam system.  Used the EDR book yesterday and figured out that between all of my 6 radiators in the home, it's putting out 200sq ft of Steam.  How would I figure out how many BTU's I need for the new boiler.  Do I times it by 240, that just seems too little.

I'm thinking of changing my Boiler to either a Burnham V8H or a Megasteam not sure yet which is better but it will probably be one of those.

I'm posting a picture of my boiler now for those who understand, I know it's old and it's only giving 72% efficiency so I think it's time to change it. 

For some reason the boiler says 425 sq ft of Steam but I come up with 200 for the entire house.  106 on the 1st floor and 94 on the second floor.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,475
    Boiler Sq Ft of Steam should equal connected EDR

It looks like your old boiler was rated at 425 sq ft of steam so it was 2X the size you needed. Usually the best way to match a boiler to a steam system is to use a boiler that can supply the correct sq footage of steam.

Double check the EDR and make sure you aren't pulling any significant BTU's from the boiler for hot water loops or anything like that.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited October 2011
    and

Do yourself a favor and go with the Megasteam (if you can meet the size needed)...awsome boiler...;)
This discussion has been closed.