Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How I removed a stubborn push nipple

Options

I had taken apart a section of the 1930s cast iron radiator to replace the push nipples. But how to get the old push nipple out? After pulling and hammering, it would not budge. I could imagine inventing some sort of device that slides inside and by turning a ratchet it would push it up and out of the hole from below. But there is no such device.

so, in case this helps anyone . . . .

I had an old hammer that I think is meant for building stones wall. No matter, for me, I now call that hammer my "push-nipple-removing hammer." I put the point of the hammer against the push nipple and took a second hammer to hit it -- so the point of the first hammer pierces the wall of the push nipple. Once the first hammer is sufficiently piecing the push nipple, a little pressure and it pulled right out.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Removing Push Nipples:

That may work for you. I've never tried it.

I have always put a 2' wrench on the nipple and jumped up and down on the end of the wrench. It usually spins right out. On the occasions where it hasn't, I have carefully cut three grooves in the inside of the nipple, being extremely careful to not cut through the nipple, One cut at the top and two at the bottom, close together. A junk screwdriver knocks the piece of nipple out which relieves the compression of the nipple and it pulls right out. I'd work that all that banging and stress might stress crack that old brittle cast iron.

But that worked for you.
This discussion has been closed.