Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil heating dilema

xxxxxx
xxxxxx Member Posts: 7
oil fired hot water boiler running for hot water however cant get heat to come on. ive sent a call for heat from several thermostats all sound and appear to be working. is this an aquatat problem.

Comments

• Mac_R
    Mac_R Member Posts: 117
    Dilema

How are you zoned?  Circulators or zone valves?  Check for 120 volts at the C1 and L2 terminals when there is a call for heat.  Jump out the TT on the boiler control "Aquastat".  If the Circulator does not kick on and you have voltage going to the circ then you have a bad circulator.  If there is no voltage going to C1 then check your low setting.  Turn it down below the boiler temp and see if you get any readings form C1.  If you still get nothing then jumper the TT and check again.  If you still get nothing at C1 and L2 then you have a bad aquastat.  I recommend replacing it with the Beckett Aqua Smart.  It is a guaranteed 10% Savings.  If it turns out that the Circulator is bad then replace it with a Taco Delta T pump.  That will save you a few bucks and make the house a little more comfortable. 
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Dilemma

Did you push the re-set button on the oil burner? Does the burner start?
  • Mac_R
    Mac_R Member Posts: 117
    Dilema

does not sound like a burner problem.  Sounds like he or she still has hot water.  My guess is a bad thermostat, circulator, or boiler control.  With the troubleshooting tips I posted before you can track down the culprit.  
This discussion has been closed.