Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

taco007 ifc help

gkratt
gkratt Member Posts: 6
Installed 007 ifc , getting gravity circulation, how do i change ifc

Comments

• Matthew Grallert
    Matthew Grallert Member Posts: 109
    IFC

The pump should have the check valve in it right out of the box.  You could very well have a small piece of something in the valve preventing it from seating. Not super common but it does happen.  It doesn't take a very big item to keep the valve open and allow a convection to accure. 

Peace

Matthew
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Taco 007 IFC:

Is there any posibility you are getting "ghost flow"? Where flow is induced by another circulator running and the spring on the IFC isn't strong enough to stop the flow?

We ols farts grew up on big heavy flow checks that took some pressure to raise the disk off the seat. Not so much on those puny plastic thingey's.

Just a thought.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    IFC check valves.

It seems to me the IFC check valve in some models of Taco circulators should eliminate ghost flow; i.e., flow in the opposite direction from what the circulator would induce if it were running. It does not take much of a spring to close the valve. What it does not do, that a regular Flow Check valve does, is prevent flow in the same direction that the pump would cause. In that case, the spring is probably much too small. If you need a real Flow Check valve, it seems to me you have little choice but to use one.

Sometimes piping in a trap, where the hotter water must descend a few feet, can eliminate the need for a real Flow Check. In my system, this works for my radiant slab zone, where the slab is as low as the bottom of my boiler, and the supply and return are connected to the top (actually a little higher). It also works for my indirect. All these have IFC check valves, but that is all. I do have a real Flow Check valve to keep the primary loop from running heat into the secondary loop when only the indirect is calling for heat.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Ghost Flow:

I had Ghost Flow with Wilo Circ's, Primary/Secondary with a Giannoni exchanger and a low loss header. The pressure in the LLH/Primary Circulator would push water through the circulator not being called for.

I'm not a great fan of IFC's because I drain a lot of houses. IFC's are not on the Radar. You can't drain them and be sure you were successful unless you blow out the zones with compressed air. You can have some serious damage if you don't attend to the IFC's. If the motor covers are missing, how will you know they are there?  
This discussion has been closed.