Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lead wipe on Long Island

KeithC
KeithC Member Posts: 38
Hi!

I'm checking in on the main wall in hopes that a fellow Long Island plumber might be reading and could help me out. I'm gearing up for taking the Town of Hempstead master plumber's license practical part, and am beating my head against the wall trying to master the lead wipe. I have every tool imaginable, all the right material, and a lot of written material to get me to the point of the pour... but I can't get my technique down.

I'm not scared of the lead, in fact I've poured thousands of bell & spigot joints in my life (doing a lot of work in NYC schools) and have a great set of tools. If anyone local feels like coming down this weekend or whenever to my place in Floral Park, and can help me master this technique, I'd really appreciate it and make it REALLY worth your while.

Call me at 917 288 2415 if you'd like to get together. I look forward to hearing from you.

Keith

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Silly question here, but...

WHY on Gods green Earth would ANYONE want to pour molten lead wiped joints? And especially why would a municipality REQUIRE a lead wipe test? We got rid of that requirement in Colorado about 20 years ago, when a clumsy participant turned around with a ladle of molten lead, and lost his fitting and fell down with the ladle, burning himself and numerous other people.

I realize the value of true craftsmanship, but really, lead wiping?

Off hand, how many other AHJ's still require this ability?

Even if there is a lead joint waste system in need of repair, it makes more sense to replace with a newer material than it does to attempt a repair.

Wondering minds and all...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• KeithC
    wipe

Please...

All of those questions are valid and there is no point to doing this - but I've resigned myself to just tackling the test and getting it over with. The fact is that the test is the test and you can't fight city hall.

Keith
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    lead wipe

Years  ago (1980s) it was a requirement in Michigan, I was taught by a telephone cable mechanic as they used to do that work when they encased there lines in lead pipe. Old Bob Hanson of Ashland, WI passed away a few years ago. I  have not wiped a joint since. It is truly a very outdated requirement.

Good luck

Rich K
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    WIPED JOINT

TO master the full wiped joint you will most probably have to take a prep . it is not something you can master in a weekend.  the materials & course will not come without a stiff price tag. if you can accept this & still have the required desire, you can do it. contact manny troise. he runs a school that offers the course. he is located in staten island , a retiired nyc plumbing inspector & lic. plumber.  without the course, trust me , you are wasting your time. will probably take a month of intense practice if you are serious. . i took the test inthe seventies and passed . toughest day of my life. but that was for nyc. that test is the most intense. long island is a breeze compared to that. best of luck, bob young nyc lic. master plumber # 685. if you desire more information contact me directly & i will try to be of assistance if i can.
  • KeithC
    edited October 2011
    wipe

Thanks Bob... Manny doesn't teach the wipe anymore. I connected with an old timer who also took the test in the 70's, but his hands don't work well enough to actually sit with me and do a practice anymore. Trust me, I have all the tools in the world. In fact, I'm better prepared than the other applicants for this test - no one else for the written part even had an idea that this was part of the practical!

You are right that the LI test is a roll wipe which makes it a lot easier than the old NYC test which required you to splash your piece. I've been making pieces that pass my inspection, but I need to know that they will pass the examining board... which is why I'd like to connect with someone who really knows 100%.

Keith
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    INSPECTION TEST WIPED JOINT

THose two joints do not look acceptable in my opinion.  they look cold wiped, sloppy & inconsistant.  buy a redi-wiped lead bend & take a look at the wipe.  " less is more ."
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    While we are on the subject of lead pipe

Sorry I cant help you take your wiping test. But I am an avid bullet caster and smelt quite a few pounds of old lead pipe. The cost of tin has risen to almost 20 dollars a pound, so for those of you who remove  old lead piping, it pays to remove the 40/60 wiping solder from the joints. This is easily done with your turbo torch because the melting point of solder is lower than the lead pipe. This can be poured into small ingots. For those of you who like to reload your own ammunition, casting your own bullets from lead pipe and hardened with the tin can really extend your time at the range.

Most plumbers are just selling the pipe to the local scrap yard and not removing the tin.
  • KeithC
    wipe

Hi!

I just wanted to stop by and say thanks to all the people who replied to this thread on the wall or by email, and to the several people who called me and offered their words of advice and encouragement.  I'm very glad to say that I was able to connect with an older Union brother who remembers fondly doing lead waste lines in Brooklyn & Queens back in the 1950s.  We spent about 4 hours practicing over the weekend and I feel as if I have enough to go by to practice every night until the test, and pass with no sweat.

Thanks again to the wall and to all who offered their help.

Keith
This discussion has been closed.