Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Another one bites the dust!

Finally figured out why 8-10 compressors have died and 2 brazed plate heat-x ruptured.Repaires/replace have cost/will cost  a LOT!!!!!! Each comp is 15 ton. The chilled water loop is good for 260GPM and the 10 compressors require 450GPM. Go figure! Now, the "fix em' up time" is here! This is a new customer to me,they HAD problems  w / the Chilled Water. WHAT A RUSH I GOT  !!!!!!!!!  

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    RE

So...what was wrong?
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Duster

There was only enough heat in the 260 GPM to properly supply 6 comps. So w/ 10 comps running all 10 were starving for heat to boil off the freon.Liquid freon does some damage to a Scroll comp.  
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    RE

Ohhh, I misread that part.

Understanding hydronic-flow is guaranteed job security.
  • Techman
    The TRUTH!!!

I have been in the total HVACR -ICE profession for 40 plus years. I have some 200 + school/classes/seminars some by Dan Holohan ,John Barba,Burnham Boiler Co,.I.B.R. and others. I'll bet that those "hydronic formulas" are in over 50 of my hundreds and hundreds of books. Between you and me I did not KNOW those formulas, never had to! I have maybe 10 hydronic heating customers.Two Steamers too ! But ,this Chiller job FORCED me into formulas. I asked for help from Taco ,the Chiller mfg., the heat-x mfg,and others. EVERY ONE OF THEM spoke GPM, Flow,BTU's, AND FORMULAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So. I had a lot of reviewing to do in a hurry! I even used my 25-30 year old SystemSizer for the very 1st time. WOW!! I thank each and every one of those Educators, Engineers ,and Gil Carlson!
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Re: dead compressors

did they not have suction line accumulators on them? I would expect that could have saved the compressors anyway.
  • Techman
    Dead Compressors

No suction accumulators on this job.Every running comp was a big ball of ice. Superheat was 1*-3* ,I'm inclined to belive accumulators would not have helped .Every suction press was below 58psi (r-22) and thats in the freezing range. NO glycol allowed. They once had a production line heat-x  fail and the glycol screwed up the works.
This discussion has been closed.