Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Warm air seeping out of hydroair vents

Dave_61
Dave_61 Member Posts: 309
Just turned on the heat to try I out this AM. The a/c worked fine this summer as far as blowing from the vents. I noticed that the hydroair coil was nice a hot, and the fan was on (Trane). But the air was only seeping out of the vents. Usually, you can hear it blowing out. We have 2 zones. There are two motorized shutters in the ductwork. One is for MBR and one for other 2 BRs.

From the look of the positions of the motor shafts, it looks like MBR one is open and second one is closed. Which is correct. But very little airflow in MBR. Filters etc are clean. Could it be that shutter is somehow binding? What are they typically lubricated with?

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Dampers

That is exactly what that sounds like.Being stuck could be anything from a stuck mouse/squirll to a loose /missing Allen Fitting to a few other reasons. Can you see the actual damper/motor assy.? Usually a few screws hold the damper in place. Can you pull the damper out an inch or two ? If so ,check the damper position and turn the t'stat up all the way and recheck the damper, then turn the t'stat all the way down and recheck.
  • Dave_61
    Dave_61 Member Posts: 309
    It is a Zonefirst MSR actuator

for the damper. I turned the master bedroom thermostat up high. The damper was not open. I then twisted the actuator a little, and it opened on its own. I did not hear anything like binding metal on metal. Not sure what was binding. Is either the actuator or the damper supposed to be lubricated? If so, what should I use? Thanks.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Dampers

How old are the dampers? It might be the moveable arm is not positioned properly. It could be worn "bearings" for the damper. You might try white lithium grease. Oil & WD40 attract dust which adds to the binding. If old/worn replace the damper. The entire damper will have to be removed from the duct to get to all of those swivel points to grease each & every one. The 24v motors need 24v to operate ,check the voltage while the dampers are moving.
This discussion has been closed.